The Receptionist

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Doesn't the title give you the whole John Grisham feel? For those of you who have no idea who he is.. well.. he is the guy who wrote many famous law novels in which many of them hit the big movie screens. The Firm, The Rain Maker, The Runaway Jury, The Partner.. ring any bells? His books are fantastic.. even for those who know nothing about law.. *shrugs* I remember when I first read his book I knew nothing about law and wasn't even remotely interested in it..

And now? On the journey to being a lawyer.. (if I don't change my mind again that is) and working part-time in a law firm. As a receptionist.. hence the title. I'm here, sharing with you my experience working there for the past.. 1 and 1/2 weeks.. perhaps it could change your mind a little.. if your interest has anything to do with law that is.

If one say they have no idea what law is nor do they give a damn.. they're merely contradicting themselves. Because in fact, law is life, law is us.. because we are all bound to law. Law of nature, law of the country, law of the family.. law of my room (example) It's just rules that people are supposed to follow and these rules are what forms the law. It's not that hard to understand right?

So.. my sad tale as a receptionist began after my A-Levels examination in June. I told my dad I'll be most willing to work in his factory for a minimum wage. Next thing he said to me was, "You go work with Uncle Yip lah. I will ask him. " O_____O Stunned. One week later.. here am I, at the doorstep of Yip & Co, Advocates and Solicitors. Only good thing is.. it's so near my house.. at Plaza Damas which means it's attached to Hartamas Shopping Center!

Anyway.. all I do is receive couriers. Open the door for the boss. Say good morning to all the staffs. Pick up the phone.. WHICH IN MY OPINION.. they should so use a recorder or like the movie ticket telephone booking service sort of of thing that goes. 'Hello, Good morning/afternoon. Yip & Co. Press 1 for Carol. Press 2 for Joanne. Press 3 for Malini.' instead of asking me to do that. And of course I don't say the Press # thing.

The sad thing is.. I don't even know whether I'm gonna get paid for all these. =.= Dad said to take it as a 'training' so I shouldn't be paid at all, furthermore.. he said Mr. Yip (my boss) is doing a nice thing for taking me in temporarily. How n-i-c-e. Free labour for him eh? Well.. my objective wasn't to earn some cash either.. so it's not THAT big of a deal. It's all about getting use to the whole 'law firm feel'.

Despite law firm giving everyone a very chilly and cold feeling, the staffs there are warm and friendly. There's only about 11 people in the law firm. Amazing.. with 11 manpower their earning millions. That's the thing. They're freaking printing money I tell you. Moving on.. most of them calls me 'mei mei' (stands for little sister) except of course the big lawyers and their secretaries (mostly older seniors) call me Ariel. It's a l-i-t-t-l-e embarrassing sometimes.. when a client walks in that they go, "Mei Mei, please ...(something).... " Oh well.. let's not like the I'm any significant to the clients so....

They even ask me out for lunch.. even though most of the time I just eat whatever I packed from home because a) the food there is too expensive. b) I'd rather spend the time going to bookshop and just walking around. This is my first job, to tell you the truth. First real job. So for me to meet such nice and friendly people.. it's really comforting.

A week there feels like a month. It's boring to the extend that I have completed 3 stories book (including the whole series of Narnia) and is halfway through my 4th book and even revised and did my law notes. Not to mention all the time I spent staring into nothingness looking out at the glass door.

Occasionally Mr. Yip would pass me some real law-related stuff to do. So far I've typed 2 Sales and Purchase Agreement and 1 Affidavit in reply. SPA is a very common thing here in the firm. I think it probably contributes the most money. All you have to do is edit the name, the details and perhaps mend a few clause and there you go, a brand new agreement and a few thousand into the bank account for a 10 minutes work. *raise eyebrows* Oh.. but then the agreement has to be passed around so that both the Vendor and the Purchaser's solicitors are satisfied with every tiny details.. so it's not that easy. But definitely not that hard.

The litigation section is a whole lot more complicated. And I know too little to actually share with you. I know I had a headache typing the Affidavit in reply. So hard to understand... law language. Ugh.. Why do they have to twist and turn everything!! Just get straight to the point lah.

One thing that I can't quite forget.. or would want to write it down before I forget is.. Last Friday, it was Ms. Tan's birthday. I know because in the morning she was singing, "Happy Birthday to you, you are born in the zoo.. " Apparently her kids sang her that or something. How cute. That day there were 3 clients who came to look for her. Now.. they sat in the meeting room and discussed for quite some time.. when they finish, the clients left with smiling faces. Ms. Tan on the other hand, was scowling.

She said something along the lines of.. "I rushed this agreement like hell... and that guy didn't come and sign.. don't know send who.. blah blah.." Then before going up to her office, she said, "Ariel I really think you should reconsider whether you want to join this field. It's really not a nice job." Something like that. And man does she look exhausted. That day was her birthday.. and she was the last person to leave the office.

Imagine me 20 years later.. do I seriously want that sort of life?

2 and 1/2 more weeks of work to go.. I'm toasted. You know on what I spend most of my energy? Trying not to fall asleep. Haha.. because it's just so wrong and unsightly for the receptionist who is sitting right in front of the door to sleep right? Sad.......

Oh well....... like dad said, one just have to learn that there are certain things where you have no choice over.. and it's not like I'm not benefiting from it. It;s good experience. Not fun at all.. but necessary nonetheless. Necessary to understand the pain and boringness of going through the same routine everyday. From waking up.. getting to work.. working.. to coming back home. Same stuff. Every day.




That's my best friend no. 1 & 2. The rubber stamp chop. Best friend no. 3 is my tigger mug (for me to drink coffee) Hateful friend no.1 is the telephone!!!



That's the staircase up to the office. Everyone works upstairs.. which means, yes.. I'm the only one downstairs most of the time.. all quiet and lonely.. haha. The staircase may look nice.. but trust me.. if you have to walk up and down more than 10 times a day.. you'll hate the staircase as much as you hate waking up on a rainy morning. (that's pretty much in my case)



Now this thing is at least fun to play with. Not that I should be touching it at all.. but you would have to be me to understand how bored out I am in the office. That I have the time to slowly take photographs..

That's about it then people. At least you know that I'm still alive out there somewhere. Haha.. don't know whether I'll survive another two weeks of intense boredom though. Will try.. will try..

0 comments: